The very best

Thursday, September 11, 2008

I've been so busy and stressed that I haven't really had time to sit down and write the post I've had in the back of my head for a while.

Over Labor Day weekend R & I celebrated our 8th anniversary. 8 wonderful years.

Before R & I got together I've never had a relationship last more than a year (2 years if you can count the on and off periods). I honestly thought long term relationships weren't for me as I couldn't understand how you could be with the same person for so long and not get bored. I used to be a very fickle person and that bad personality trait always seemed to manifest itself in my relationships. And then I met R. And let me say WOW.

I haven't had a fickle moment since I met her. I never had those doubts. I never looked just to keep my options open. I never sat and wondered if there was someone else out there who was better for me. I guess I instinctively knew that there wasn't someone better. I finally found the right one. I finally found the one person I was meant to be with. I could stop looking and worrying and just breathe.

Everything in my relationship with R is so completely and totally different than every other relationship I have ever had. Not only do I love R; I truly like her. I like being with her and around her and I enjoy all the time we spend together. Sometimes we stop and ask each other if we're normal in our need and want to spend all our time together. We look at other couples and don't see that. We don't go out with our friends separately. Not because the other would get mad or upset but because we WANT to be with each other. We don't do things separately very often. If one of us needs alone time or space we just retreat a bit; to another room, to a separate activity, etc. Yes, sometimes we wonder if we're normal but really neither of us mind.

She's my best friend. Whenever I have a bad day and just can't take anymore if I can just stop and focus for one minute on her then I'm better. Maybe not 100% but I can breathe again. Just knowing she's there at the end of the worst day makes things so much better. Again it's like even when I get stressed out and worked up if I can just think about her and us I can make it through anything.

Happy Anniversary, baby. Thank you for the best 8 years of my life.

0 comments: